|Tools Archives Xina Games News RPG Info Misc.|
PC Races - Kindar
Players must obtain permission from the narrator to create dwarven characters.
- Average Height - Male: 5' Female: 4'9"
- Build - Slender frame. Ears measuring 6" to 10" in length which taper to a point. Round eyes and face. Blunt, almost animalistic facial features. Fine body hair. No facial hair, except for small sideburns on some males. Light to medium skin tones. Clear, resonant voices in the tenor and soprano range. See facial hair styles.
- Age - Youth: 8 Adult: 12 Mature: 37 Old: 50
- Eye Colors - Brilliant, gem-like colors in shades of cyan, blue, indigo, violet, purple and magenta.
- Hair Colors - Blond, blue tones, brown, violet tones, or white.
- Spellcasting Class Allowed - Mystics
+1 skill bonus to Physical(red), Healing (yellow), and Shifting (orange) spells.
Unable to cast Kinetic (cyan), Mental (blue), Creating (teal), or Spirit (purple) spells.
- Racial Advantages - Animal Empathy (5), Shapeshifter (5).
- Racial Disadvantages - Code of Honor: Hospitality (-5), Racial Veneration (-5).
- Optional Traits - Albino (-10), Beast Kin (10), Breath Holding (2/lvl), Familiar (15), Glamour Sense (5), Mimicry (15), Enhanced Jump (4/lvl), Enhanced Swimming (3/lvl), Mild Phobia: Fire (-5), Unnatural Feature (-5).
- Common Quirks - Dislikes cities (-1), Generous (-1), Kind to animals (-1), Loves to socialize (-1), Vegetarian (-1).
- Homeland - Seldarin
- Personality - Adaptable, artistic, innovative, neighborly, outgoing, philosophical, polite, and sociable.
- Goals - A balanced, peaceful society is very important to them. Kindar strive to live in harmony with nature.
- Signs of Rank - Clothing decorated with pearls, pastel colors, crystal and gemstone jewelry.
- Slavery - Kindar do not have slaves or bondsmen. Anyone in bondage entering Kindar lands is considered free.
- Religion - Kindar gods are numerous and no attempt has been made to document them - each family has one or more names that are held in reverence. They believe these gods are members of the ancient race.
- Taboos - Killing for sport, mistreatment of animals, and public fighting.
- Festivals -
- Architecture - North Indian (medieval Indo-Aryan) style with decentralized floorplans, plant and animal motifs.
- Clothing Style - Earth colors, beadwork, and jewelry that indicates life stage.
- Art - Stone and clay sculpture, pottery, mosaics, dance, and musical instruments.
- Music - Soprano range. Wind instruments, rattles, bells, zills (finger cymbals), and lyres.
- Travel Lodgings - Cities have cottage quarters, where travelers can rent 1-3 room lodgings for extended periods of time. There are often as many guest cottages as permanent residences in a town.
- Social Drinking -
- Sports - Sailing.
- Hobbies - Diving, gymnastics and swimming.
- Pets - Rodents, ferrets, reptiles, turtles and giant insects. (No "origin" species.)
- Weapons - Daggers, blowguns, nets, caltrops, staves and animal strikers.
- Burial - Kindar elders often take animal form before dying. All dead are lightly wrapped in specially prepared cloth and buried in a ceremonial mound, nude and with no possessions. A vine with white flowers year round, called Elowa, grows thick on these mounds and can only be found on Kindar burial mounds. The white flowers resemble miniature Oleander. Bodies buried beneath the fast-growing Elowa decompose completely in a month.
- Other Notes - Kindar live in small, open communities. Families often migrate from place to place, visiting relatives for months at a time while making new friends. Kindar believe it is important to take life slowly and find enjoyment even in small things. They seem very trusting and welcoming of strangers, but secretly watch them very closely. They are extremely peaceful until provoked, fighting visciously in defense of home and family. In war, they prefer to shapeshift foes instead of killing them. Kindar refuse to fight with their own kind in public, out of respect for their ancestors who gave up their native forms to find peace. Pregnancy is very debilitating to Kindar women, since their children are born comparatively large.
- History - Kindar believe that, long ago, they were animals who lived on the moon. In order to establish unity, they gave up their individual forms and became kindar. With the help of their gods, they settled in a new land and established the first Council of Elders. The Kindar arrived in the Northlands aboard ornate boats which were ceremonially burned upon arrival.
Sample Hair Colors
Blond - Butterscotch, dirty, flaxen, golden, honey, sandy, saffron, strawberry.
Blue - Azure, cerulean, cobalt, royal, sapphire, steel.
Brown - Almond, chocolate, dark, hazelnut, mahogany, medium, mocha, wheat.
Violet - Amethyst, indigo, orchid, purple.
The Effects of Age
As a Youth, a character is an adolescent who is supposed to be under an adult's care and supervision. As an Adult, he gains full legal rights and responsibilities. At Mature, a character begins to suffer the effects of aging. He must roll HT once per year. On a failed roll, an attribute decreases by 1 point. On a critical failure, 1 point of HT is lost as well. An Old character's HT roll is made at a penalty equal to the number of years above the minimum age for Old (IE: -1 at age 81 for humans). If any attribute is reduced to zero, the character passes away.