|Tools Archives Xina Games News RPG Info Misc.|
NPC Races - Orcs
The following is OOC (out of character) information about an NPC (non-player character) race. Players must obtain permission from the narrator to create characters that begin play with knowledge of metahuman races.
- Average Height - Male: 6'4" Female: 6'
Build - Stocky build. Slightly smaller ears than humans. Wide set eyes, round faces and broad noses. Thick body hair on the forearms and chest, and no facial hair on the lips for males. Brown to black skin tones. Voices in the baritone and mezzo-soprano range that gradually lower to bass and alto with age. See beard styles.
- Age - Youth: 10 Adult: 15 Mature: 48 Old: 65
- Eye Colors - Black. Orcish eyes are aniridian, having no apparent irises.
- Hair Colors - Black or dark brown, ash tones.
- Spellcasting Class Allowed - Any
Unable to cast Pure Magic (White) spells.
-1 skill when casting High Path spells.
- Racial Advantages - Early Maturation (5), Fit (5), Temperature Tolerance: Heat (1).
- Racial Disadvantages - Limited Magic Paths (-5).
- Optional Traits - Temperature Tolerance: Heat (1/lvl), Very Fit (10), Very Rapid Healing (15), Odious Personal Habit (-5).
- Homeland - Grevena
- Personality - Clever, demonstrative, loyal, stoic, stubborn, sturdy, tenacious, vengeful.
- Goals - Live in the here and now, plan for the future but do not foster too much hope. Orcs work and play hard.
- Signs of Rank - Intricate arm-bands and necklaces made of carved bone, horn, wood and ceramic beads.
- Slavery - Wealthy orcs have thralls, individuals who are legally, socially and economically bound to work for a specific master or family. Instead of wages, they are paid with lodging, food, clothing and other basic necessities. Money must be earned in their free time. They are usually employed in farming, forestry, mining, transportation and crafts. They can earn freedom by paying off their "thrall price" or becoming the apprentice of a craft master.
- Religion -
- Taboos - Losing one's weapon, raising a deformed or retarded offspring, and public begging or pleading.
- Festivals -
- Architecture - Hakka style in northern Grevena. Defensible, one large entrance, no windows at ground level, often round in shape, a central courtyard with water supply, large buildings internally divided instead of separate buildings, thick walls, top floor battlements, reinforced stone and iron gates, ranged weapon turrets, seldom over 2 stories tall. Constructed of brick, stone and rammed earth. Armenian style in southern Grevena. Vaulted ceilings, entirely of stone, conical or semiconical radially segmented domes mounted above vaulted ceilings, octagonal and hexagonal structures, heavy use of tall structural arches, perpendicular ridged roofs, low-slung buildings with thick walls.
- Clothing Style - Flowing, layered robes in colors that blend with the terrain.
- Art - Ornate lamps, carpets, ballads, poetry, music, and weapon engraving.
- Music - Bass range, rich rhythmic patterns. Percussion instruments, tambourines, kabans (simplistic lutes), small horns, and vocals.
- Travel Lodgings - Orcs use roadhouses, located on roads a mile or so outside of town, instead of inns.
- Social Drinking - Orcs build rathskellers instead of taverns - bars located in basements, cellars or underground floors.
- Sports - Bull riding, dueling, dog fighting, javelin throwing, steeplechase, and wrestling.
- Hobbies - Board games, polo and wood chopping. Board games include backgammon, catapults (battleship), chess, checkers, and invasion (stratego).
- Pets - Canines and horses.
- Weapons - Swords, spears and axes.
- Burial - Orc nobles are cremated during a festival that includes drinking, fighting, gambling, bragging and other indulgences. The festival begins at dusk. The cremation fires are not hot enough to destroy the bones. The skull is added to a burial cave or masoleum, while the other bones are crushed and distributed among relatives. Commoners are completely cremated, followed by a small celebration of their deeds. In both cases, the bodies are painted with symbolic or religious markings before burning. No items of value are burned with the bodies.
- Other Notes - Orcs are brown-skinned, not green as in other genres. Due to their recent migration, they have a strong tradition of oral history. Gongs are used to announce important times or the beginning of special events. Mortality rates are high among orcish children, however the birth rate is also high. Orc females are capable and active during most of their pregnancy, and are not worn down by successive birthings.
- History - Orcs lived in disparate tribes in the southern jungles until recent generations. They were servants of an ancient dragon. Moving in secret, the tribes learned to communicate with each other and formed an alliance, eventually killing the dragon. They are now one people, ruled by a king who sits on a dragonskull throne.
Sample Hair Colors
Black - Domino, ebony, jet, midnight, onyx, raven, sable.
Brown - Almond, chocolate, dark, hazelnut, mahogany, medium, mocha, wheat.
The Effects of Age
As a Youth, a character is an adolescent who is supposed to be under an adult's care and supervision. As an Adult, he gains full legal rights and responsibilities. At Mature, a character begins to suffer the effects of aging. He must roll HT once per year. On a failed roll, an attribute decreases by 1 point. On a critical failure, 1 point of HT is lost as well. An Old character's HT roll is made at a penalty equal to the number of years above the minimum age for Old (IE: -1 at age 81 for humans). If any attribute is reduced to zero, the character passes away.